OSARCC’s response to COVID-19 – Updated 30/4/20
30th April 2020
OSARCC is very aware of the potential for the current situation with COVID 19 (Coronavirus) to cause anxiety and concern for many, not least of all to those living with the impacts of sexual violence and abuse.
OSARCC is aware that this is a difficult time, that survivors may be experiencing a range of impacts including flashbacks and disassociation, and that during lock down many more people will experience sexual violence either by someone they are living with or through online platforms.
Whatever happened to you was only ever the fault of the perpetrator, and we want you to know that we are very much here to listen to you and support you.
In order to do this, over the past few weeks we have continued to adapt our services to best meet the needs of our community.
What does this mean in practice?
• We are continuing to provide one to one counselling and advocacy support to survivors either online or by phone for those who wish to access it.
• We have relaunched out support groups as an online group and are looking at new ways to provide support that was being giving in the drop in space.
• Our work within schools is paused. However we will continue to offer online and telephone support to young people receiving support from the SEE Project.
• We are continuing to take referrals, so ask that anyone looking for support from our services continues to reach out to us. We will carry out initial meetings by telephone or online.
• Our email support service remains open (email@example.com), and our text service re-opens today (30th April). These services offer support to survivors of sexual violence and those supporting them.
• Our telephone listening service remains closed, but we are working hard to get this operational as soon as possible.
• The delivery of internal and external training is postponed, and we are exploring online alternatives including launching our first virtual training programme for volunteers.
• We will be offering a call back system for administrative enquiries to our office phone line – please do leave us a message if you contact us this way.
We are aware that this is a difficult time for many and we will continue to provide regular updates about all our services by email and through our website and on social media.
OSARCC Email Support – firstname.lastname@example.org
OSARCC text support – Sunday and Thursday evenings 6:30-8:30pm | 07537 432 442
OSARCC referrals – email@example.com | 01865 725311
OSARCC information – firstname.lastname@example.org | 01865 725311
Other sources of support:
Samaritans 24/7 – 116 123
Rape Crisis England and Wales – https://rapecrisis.org.uk/get-help/
24/7 Mental Health Helpline for Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire – Adults: 01865 904997. Children and young people: 01865 904998.